Ads

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Roads Should be Automated



On my way to Toledo last Friday I was driving down I-275 and drove past the scene of this horrible accident on the other side of the highway involving three cars and a truck. I don't know the conditions or the cause of the accident but I think this is just more evidence that the road system needs to be automated and controlled by a computer. Not only would it make traveling safer (and cheaper), it would also be much more efficient in terms of fuel usage and duration. I envision some sort of wire down the middle of the road that an eye under your car follows. A master computer controls the spacing between vehicles and compensates for congestion. You could effectively eliminate traffic lights by seamlessly alternating cars through intersections. I can only hope something like this happens soon, for the sack of all those injured or killed in vehicle related accidents.

No comments: